Performance opportunities for percussion and synthesizer
Mason Entertainment Group continually accepts applications for all positions.
Current Openings : there are openings in Blast! for all Percussion positions.
- Feature Snare Soloists
- Feature Marimba Soloist
- Drum Kit
- General Percussion
All applicants must upload an audition video to our website. Editing of the audition presentation is acceptable (text, scene changes, etc.), however ANY edits to actual audition materials will result in immediate rejection of the entire audition.
Please carefully review the requirements below. In addition to demonstrating an ability to perform / entertain, be sure to include in your audition materials the specific requirements outlined below that apply to your area of interest. Applicants demonstrating multiple skills will be given special consideration.
All applicants must possess or have potential to quickly develop strong acting skills. Mason Entertainment Group looks for exceptional performers who possess an engaging and outgoing personality, a strong sense of humor, & an exuberant sense of play within dramatic situations. A performer needs to be a disciplined and enthusiastic team player who works well within a large ensemble, willing to selflessly give and take to better the project. Our shows rarely use the spoken word thus the body becomes the expressive tool to present circumstances and dramatic action. A performer needs to display athletic agility, strong kinesthetic awareness, and a freedom to express emotion through gesture. Developed abilities in the areas of gymnastics, mime, stage combat, clowning, juggling, or other movement oriented skills will enhance one's castability. Above all, a performer with Mason Entertainment Group needs a passionate spirit and the stamina to go the extra mile.
Acting Requirements ( for all applicants ):
Please include in your audition video your ability to act and role play by acting out any two of the following scenarios (each scene should be brief: 30 to 60 seconds in length):
- Walking in a rain storm with blasting winds.
- Try to get an imagined crying 6 year old to laugh.
- Swimming in shark infested waters.
- Boxing match with an opponent who is heavier and more skilled.
- Become a cat who is threatened by a dog or a dog who is threatened by a cat.
Vocal Requirements ( for all applicants ):
All prospective cast performers for Mason Entertainment Group shows need to have strong vocal skills. Please perform 8 to 16 measures demonstrating your best vocal ability. You may sing a cappella, but give a starting and ending pitch from an instrument. Material may be as simple as "Happy Birthday." We are looking for standard, legitimate vocal production. If you wish to include rock, pop or R & B styles in you audition, please put it after the required material. Please indicate your vocal range as being either soprano, alto, tenor, or bass.
Movement Requirements ( for all musicians
Our shows contain an enormous variety of movement including marching at all velocities, ballet, jazz dance, stage combat, and expressive movement while playing instruments. A prospective performer needs to possess strong technique and physical ability.
Please include in the following in your video audition:
- Demonstrate you marching ability at the following tempi while playing your instrument: 80, 156, & 200 bpm
- While playing a selection of your choice, choreograph a one to two minute combination that melds music, movements and acting into a total performance. Be creative...consider different levels ( in and out of the floor ), playing with one hand while dancing, doing gymnastics, etc. Explore ranges of movement ( ridged, fluid, angular, heavy, light ), humor, drama, conflict and resolution.
- Include any special movement skills or abilities you possess.
Music Requirements ( for percussionist ):
Percussion positions in Mason Entertainment Group shows include General Percussionist, Drum Kit, and Synthesizer. Those applicants demonstrating proficiency on more than one instrument will be given special consideration.
A percussionist in Mason Entertainment Group shows should have a strong understanding of various styles and should be skilled in the areas of rudimental, orchestral, contemporary multiple percussion, and pop percussion styles. Players should have the skill to play rudimental snare drum with traditional grip at no less than an intermediate level. Experience with collegiate level indoor/outdoor battery percussion, WGI indoor or drum and bugle corps is not mandatory but strongly encouraged. Players should be proficient with four mallet keyboard technique, have a strong understanding of all instruments in the orchestral percussion family, and have some experience with hand drumming. Extreme consistency coupled with an ability to play at a high level while executing expressive movement is essential to participating in the ensemble.
Musical Requirements for General Percussionist (should include all of the following):
- RUDIMENTAL SNARE or TENORS
- Any 1-2 minute selection/solo which showcases your musical and technical strengths. This selection should demonstrate proficiency with flam, roll, and paradiddle rudiments.
- Porgy and Bess excerpt from Morris Goldenberg's book Modern School for Xylophone, Marimba, Vibraphone (pp. 122 & 123). Play the first seven lines at the correct tempo.
- A marimba solo of your choice.
- Demonstrate your ability to perform permutations at a variety of different tempi and with extended phrases which connect various sticking combinations.
- Adagio-Allegro from Raynor Carroll's Exercises, Etudes and Solos (p. 155). Play the Adagio section only.
- CONCERT SNARE
- Etude # 7 from Anthony Cirone's Portraits In Rhythm.
- HAND DRUMMING
- Excerpts which demonstrates competency in Cuban conga drum style (Tumbao, Guaguanco, 6/8), and a west African djembe style.
Drum Kit players are expected to be well versed in various styles including, but not limited to, swing, top 40, samba, bop, shuffle, salsa, and rock. Consistent tempo, whether playing time or soloing is essential. Understanding and fluidity within compound time signatures and odd meter is needed. Strong double kick chops and the ability to play to a click track or take time from other locations / musicians are also required.
Musical Requirements for Drum Kit:
- Play time in various styles and tempi including swing, bop, samba, shuffle, and rock.
- In each style above play time / solo / time in the format of 4 bars / 4 bars / 4 bars
- Include on your audition video footage of you playing within a rhythm section or band (any style).
Synthesizer players are expected to be versed in various styles however most piano players accel in one genre or another. Please include anything that demonstrates your abilities: etudes, classical work, jazz comping, standards, or improvization.
In addition, please include the following:
- All major and minor scales ( 16th notes at 140 bmp )
- Arpeggio exercises
Fitness & Health Practices ( for all cast members ):
Good exercise habits are beneficial to cast performers for reasons of injury prevention and health maintenance. Please include on your video a general description of your current exercise program(s).
Audition Requirements Checklist ( for all applicants ):
In addition to the specific requirements outlined above, please be certain the following is included when you submit your audition materials.ALL materials will be submitted to our secure upload site - link is below.
- A one - two page resume or summary of your musical, theatrical, dance, and/or color guard experience. This needs ot be submitted in either PDF or Microsoft Word format (.pdf or .doc or docx). Please make sure the following information is listed at the TOP of your resume:
- Full Name
- Current Age
- Current Mailing Address (including country and postal code/zip)
- Primary Instrument or Skill and years of Study
- Other Instrument(s) or Skill(s) and years of Study
- Other Unique or Extraordinary Skills
- School and/or Ensemble Affiliations
- A 5 x 7 color photograph submitted in .jpg .jpeg .tif or .tiff format.
- A letter of recommendation from your current ensemble director, instrumental teacher, or ensemble administrator confirming your performance qualifications. This recommendation should include the director's/ teacher's/ administrator's address, telephone number, and signature. This needs ot be submitted in either PDF or Microsoft Word format (.pdf or .doc or docx).
- An audition video as outlined above. The contents of the video should be in the following order:
- Acting Requirements
- Vocal Requirements
- Form/Movement Requirements
- Music or Visual Ensemble Requirements
- Fitness and Health Practices
- A short statement (on video) as to why you want to be a part of a MEG project
All percussion audition materials should be uploaded to the following link: